2014年6月3日火曜日

Nice to meet you, Mr. Hemingway.

http://goo.gl/LpiRZm


 Hearing Ernest Hemingway, I was like “Um, he was a writer.” I’m sorry to say that, but that was all. After some research, I mean pre-reading, I’ve realizes that I know one of his works; For Whom the Bell Tolls.
 I read the article from LIFE, and it provided me some interesting things about Ernest Hemingway. It’s said that some great writers are trouble makers, like to drink too much. He is in the case. I guess that such an uncompromising personality generates the artistic works. It is hilarious that the magazines which deal with his problematic actions have been sold better than his works, though. Well, I have never met a person like him, so I cannot imagine how awful to be with him, but according to Alfred Eisensstaedt, I can understand he was so bad-tempered. I wonder how he created the plain, endurable and hopeful old man.


 Dan told us that The Old Man and the Sea includes the idea of stoicism. Stoicism has a virtue which prefers self-sufficiency, endurance and determination. By the way, there is an opposite idea which called Epicureanism. It prefers to let people’s mind free and relax. Anyway, the book shows Stoicism. The old man believes in Stoicism because he doesn’t want much food, and he has been enduring his failed fishing. Reading it further from now on, I may find those aspects more.

2 件のコメント:

  1. Your research is great because you picked up another Hemingway's work. First my impression of him was similar to you, but your blog helped me to learn about him more. Anyway, Thanks!

    返信削除
  2. It is a good idea to use photo credit, and it makes us understand your essay easier.

    返信削除