2014年6月7日土曜日

Old but Honorable

http://goo.gl/fVwnAj


 Today, I want to talk about the old man in The Old Man and the Sea. He couldn’t have gotten any fish for 84 days, so he must be depressed. However, he isn’t. His eyes are still “cheerful and undefeated." Why? It’s because he feels honored to struggle with hardship, and he never lose. In fact, he looks defeated for us, but he doesn’t regard the situation as defeat, and he just keeps struggling with it.
 For my generation, the honor in struggle is a nonsense. Like other fishers in the book do, some people laugh at those who are struggling with something. Talking about ICU students, it is not in the case. However, I have to acknowledge this tendency of my generation.

 At first, I thought that why such a boring story, which has merely lots of fishing scenes, got the Nobel Prize in Literature, but now I know the reason. The old man provides us a sense of honor in struggle.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿